Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Organizing Tip of the Week (Is your purse heavier this time of year?)

At some point during an organizing session I will inevitably pick up a client's purse to either hand it to her or move it out of the way.  It always weighs a ton!  I tease my clients and say that if I just stop for a minute and 'pump the purse' I'll have toned biceps.

But super heavy purses are no laughing matter.  They place stress on your shoulder and neck.  I'm all for keeping chiropractors in business but not for this reason. Follow the Magic Formula and dump everything out in a clear work zone.  Usually that's the dining room table or your bed. Start eliminating what you don't need to carry.  File your receipts.  Toss those empty gum wrappers, stale candy bars and whittle your make up and hair accessories down to what you realistically need for a quick touch up.

Now create categories.  Keep them together with something like the above tool you can insert inside your 'big bag.'  But let me say that this solution doesn't work for me.  Why would I need a purse inside my purse? How much does it weigh before I add a single item? You catch my drift. I like zippered pouches that will hold my individual categories. You can find a nice selection at The Container Store.


I've written about heavy purses before but it bears repeating during this season when most people are schlepping extra sweaters and shoes or boots. If you have to transport a bevy of items at least divide and conquer: keep valuables and cosmetics in your purse and those seasonal items in a carry all.  Your back will thank you for the divided load!

I promised career news in my last post and here it is for those who took the time to read to the end:  I'm working on book number 10!  It's called Downsize Your Life and is all about doing better with less and  managing a successful move to a new location.  I spent 6 months last year changing my own life and location.  I'm oh so ready to help you do the same!



No comments:

What type of information would you most like to find here?

June 2009, in China

June 2009, in China
At the Summer Palace outside Beijing