Thursday, May 16, 2013

Be Open to Change

Quite a few years ago before Google photographed every street and building on the planet and every smart phone had GPS, I had a clever way of keeping track of my clients homes.  I would print out the driving directions and place them in a sheet protector then file them in alphabetical order in a notebook I carried in my car.  Clients I hadn't seen in some time were always impressed I never needed directions after the initial visit. 

But now Siri tells me where and how to go.  The night before I still look up the address on Map Quest because I am visual.  I like to be able to picture the map I saw the night before in my mind as Siri gives me directions.  Los Angeles is a driving town and you never know when someone will live on a well concealed cul de sac or up on a mountain top.  My notebook, however,  is no longer needed.  It's now an homage to how clever I was in the good old days.  Yesterday I gave it a 'thank you' and a toss. What's the bottom line?

No matter how great your organizing solutions are stay open to new ideas and better ways of accomplishing your goals.  I'm not suggesting change for change sake.  I am suggesting you never utter anything like this: "Why do we need cell phones?  Didn't we do OK when it was just a home phone or a pay phone?" Yes, we did.  We also did quite well traveling by horse and buggy.  But planes, trains and automobiles are faster and the world is a connected place. Stay current: it will keep you youthful to the end!

What type of information would you most like to find here?

June 2009, in China

June 2009, in China
At the Summer Palace outside Beijing