Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Toy Storage

Yesterday a new mother asked me a question on Facebook that delighted me.  After 24 years of one-on-one work with clients and nine books on the subject of getting organized this was a new one! I love a challenge.  Here is the dilemma: her toddler had a growing collection of puzzles that had no boxes but lots of big pieces.  My reader had been storing the pieces in Ziplock bags but she's very artistic and the aesthetic of a growing river of plastic bags did not please her.  What could I suggest?

I told her that while those Ziplock bags might not drive me insane I understood that she was after a more pleasing aesthetic as well as a solution that would introduce the concept of getting organized to her son.  I closed my eyes to think for a few minutes.  Almost instantly I envisioned these parts being stored in cotton or burlap drawstring bags.  But would such a solution be available?  I'm delighted to report that Google came up with a page of companies selling such bags not only in various sizes and colors but for very little money.

Here's the company I selected for her to view:
http://www.papermart.com/Product%20Pages/Product.aspx?GroupID=18970

Now there was one more issue: how to identify the contents without having to open the actual bags.  I thought of ID tags that are sold in bulk at office supply stores.  You could identify the contents on the tag and then tie it to one of the draw string handles.

Mom was happy and so was I.

As your children grow older and their toys do come in boxes remember that as those original containers age they can be replaced by universal toy storage boxes.  You can use your label maker to ID the spine of the box. I never stack my game boxes when I am organizing a child's room.  I stand them on their side and line them up.  It's easier to pull one out than to get to the bottom of a stack.

You'll find great solutions for your entire home in all of my books.  For a  typical family I recommend One Year to an Organized Life.  Until may 24, 2013 you can enter a contest at Goodreads to win a free audio copy of my favorite book.

Here's the link:
https://www.goodreads.com/giveaway/show/52630-one-year-to-an-organized-life-from-your-closets-to-your-finances-the-w?auto_login_attempted=true&auto_login_attempted=true

Have a great week and please post your questions for me here or on my public Facebook page which is 'Regina leeds, The Zen Organizer.'



What type of information would you most like to find here?

June 2009, in China

June 2009, in China
At the Summer Palace outside Beijing