Monday, May 6, 2013

Mother's Day

Mother's Day is on the horizon and I've been thinking more about the moms of the world than I usually do.  Moms after all are the most frequent readers of my books and make up the lion share of my client list.   I know of no other job that is as difficult or has more consequences if you don't give it your full attention. I salute all the hard working moms of the world!

This week on Facebook at 'Regina Leeds, The Zen Organizer'  I'm posting daily tips for ways loved ones can honor mom.  You know something personal to add to the gift, flowers or brunch you're planning.  Cleaning up your room without being asked will probably give mom a boost as will creating an adventure for her. Come on over every day this week and feel free to add your ideas. We were reminded at the end of the Boston Marathon that life can change forever in a matter of seconds.  Never take mom for granted is the bottom line. Mother's Day 2013 won't come again.

My mother passed away when I was just past my 25th birthday after a 2 year battle with cancer.  In the middle of that journey my father died suddenly.  I was 'old' at 25 with more emotional blows than I ever imagined possible.  For many years I couldn't even look at the rows of Mother's Day cards in the stores without blubbering like a baby.  But now I celebrate all the women who have mothered me in one way or another and I eagerly look for ways to nurture others.  Ironically that's the central message of my Zen Organizing philosophy: get organized so your environment can nurture you and all the wonderful things you wish to accomplish.

Many women are looking forward to the birth of a baby this time of year.  If you know anyone in this happy state consider gifting her with a copy of One Year to an Organized Life with Baby.  Mother of 5 Meagan Francis and I created this guide for pregnant couples and we stay with you until baby is 5 months old.  A virtual avalanche of stuff is coming your way from stuffed animals and 'onsies' to pregnancy clothes and nursery furniture.  If you don't get in control from the start it's going to be overwhelming. Besides one of the best gifts you can give your child is an organized environment: knowing how to get and stay organized is really the ultimate gift that keeps on giving.

Finally let me share that May has been designated 'Be Kind to Animals' month.  I hope we are always kind to animals but reminders are wonderful.  If you are the 'mother' of a dog, cat or other lucky creature I hope you too have a special day.  May you and your fur babies celebrate in some special way.  In fact come over to Facebook and let me know what you have planned.  Love comes in many forms and being grateful for it is all that matters.




What type of information would you most like to find here?

June 2009, in China

June 2009, in China
At the Summer Palace outside Beijing