Wednesday, August 7, 2013

On a Personal Note ~

They say that love makes us crazy.

A few weeks ago I was doing volunteer work with a wonderful rescue here in Los Angeles called Lucky Puppy.  I was one of the volunteers asked to come and cuddle 23 sick puppies.  What dog lover wouldn't jump at the chance to be part of a 'puppy pile?' The first time I walked in a little white dog looked up at me and I swear I heard him say: "Hey! Hi! How are ya? What took you so long? I've been waitin' for ya!" He may have been sick but he seemed to smile with his entire being.  I was captivated and touched but I like BIG dogs.  I had hoped to find a Great Dane or pit bull not a puff ball.  

When I got on the floor to cuddle the puppies he sat on my lap as if to say he'd share me but I belonged to him.  When he went to the hospital to live in isolation while he participated in a new FDA soon to be approved drug protocol I visited him every day I wasn't working.  We'd play together in an exam room and I told him he was smart, handsome and healthy.  Words can heal and I wanted to build up his immune system. I agreed with Lucky Puppy that he was special and needed a person who would nurture and love him and protect his incredible spirit.  He turned 6 months recently and although his life has been about shelters, rescue and doctors offices, he continues to be loving and have very high self-esteem.  I remember the moment I realized I was his life partner.

But dogs aren't allowed in my building and so the young man whose name is now Charlie is living with one of my best friends while I get ready to move to our new home on September 14th.  I'm downsizing to half the space and a lot of things I thought would be with me forever are now finding new homes or the trash bin. It's exhausting but freeing and when I feel overwhelmed I remember how it feels to have Charlie in my arms and no price is too high.

I may not be able to blog every day until October 1st when I know we'll be totally unpacked and have a routine.  Charlie also needs to go to school to learn perfect manners.  He's intelligent, loving, eager to please and a joy to be around.  I want everyone to feel that way about him.  If I'm not as active as usual in Social Media please know I'm reorganizing my physical world.  All this upheaval for the love of one 10 pound Havanese who stole my heart the second we met. May your journey be sweet while Charlie and I get through this time of transition.

No comments:

What type of information would you most like to find here?

June 2009, in China

June 2009, in China
At the Summer Palace outside Beijing