Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Give procrastination the boot!

I was trolling through Pinterest looking for images to accompany a new project that launches soon and found this delightful cartoon.  There are any number of reasons we humans are so good at pushing things to the last minute.  We might be afraid of success! If you do a big project at work and it's cheered by all as a great success a part of you may fear an increase in projects coming your way.  Conversely you might fear you will fail and then have to live with shame in front of your colleagues. Or perhaps you grew up with parents who did everything at the last minute and that sick to the stomach race to the finish line is mother's milk to you. 

Books have been written about procrastination and my thoughts here can only open the door a crack for you to consider 'Why?' How about this for motivation? You'll have more time for what pleases you if you get the hard stuff out of the way.  This ironically was my mother's philosophy.  I was never allowed to put any project off to the last minute. There are so many things my mother taught me that I now teach my clients.  I was being prepared for a profession that didn't yet exist.  Thanks, Mom!  Give it a try because what do you have to lose except the same old, same old guilt, fear and self recrimination?

No projects begging for your time?  What about getting organized so that when they do come calling you'll be ready to face them down.  Guess what?  The holidays are around the corner and they always require a bit of extra effort.  A project doesn't have to be a report for work or school, it can be Thanksgiving dinner.

No comments:

What type of information would you most like to find here?

June 2009, in China

June 2009, in China
At the Summer Palace outside Beijing