Thursday, October 24, 2013

The glory of an old dog!

As everyone familiar with this blog knows I just adopted a puppy.  Charlie was 9 months on the 19th and as adorable as he is I have to say adopting an older dog means someone else has had to teach a baby everything he needs to know like when to bark, where to potty and how to walk on a leash.  Puppies are exhausting so if you are in the market for a new family member don't go to a rescue with the idea that only a baby will do.

The product I'm sharing is just one of many that can make life for your older dog easier.  If he's a senior he might need help getting onto the bed, the couch or into the car (there are ramps for that). I once adopted a 15 year old Golden who stayed with me till he was 17 1/2 and until the last week of his life he was never sick once. Don't assume an old dog will come with huge medical bills!  A dog is a member of the family and you'll have a lot of fun integrating him or her into your home and lifestyle. If you're open to learning some dog psychology try any of Cesar Millan's books or DVD's.  And if you're in the Los Angeles area and need a trainer contact me because I've got a gem.

I've noticed that dogs are happier in organized spaces.  When I start a project in someone's home the dogs are very often a bit agitated.  They have no idea that the mess I am making is temporary.  And they really don't want to relinquish all that floor space to me. It's funny to watch them get a bit upset and then look ever so satisfied when it's all in place and they realize I gave them the gift of space and a happier master.

Create a folder for your dog in your file system and keep his medical records and any other important papers relating to his health and well being together for ease of retrieval. You'll want to make a special place in the kitchen for his food and treats.  Don't forget to microchip him so that in the event you are separated a reunion will be easier for the folks who find him.  There is some initial expense to be sure but after the first volley of bills you can sit back and enjoy the kind of best friend you've always wanted.  And he'll be so grateful you have his life organized!

No comments:

What type of information would you most like to find here?

June 2009, in China

June 2009, in China
At the Summer Palace outside Beijing