Friday, November 22, 2013

Pets and Holidays ...

...are not a great match.  Imagine how you'd feel if Fido invited 30 stray dogs to your home for a play date.  You'd be a wee bit overwhelmed, wouldn't you?  Well, some dogs feel incredibly stressed when your family comes over for the big holiday celebrations. I like to put Rescue Remedy in the water bowl for up to a week before the big day.  You can find it on line, at a Whole Foods Market or in any store that specializes in natural products.  It's for humans under stress but safe for animals.  Perhaps you'll need a few drops before everyone arrives?

Some people confine their furry companions to a quiet room in the back of the house until it's a wee bit calmer.  I would lower the lights and put on some soothing music. My pets get Reiki Healing Music (available at Amazon) but you can also play something like Mozart. This isn't the time for rap, heavy metal or 'I don't get no satisfaction.' And PLEASE don't put your pup out in the cold 'until he settles down.'  First of all dogs don't belong outside but secondly they are pack animals.  They want to be with you and being miserable in the cold while they listen to your holiday merriment is going to rev them higher.  "Why won't that dog stop barking?!"  Answer: "Because the stupid human has him outside away from the pack!"

I found the above infographic on line and thought I'd share it.  It will arm you with helpful advice for your pet and be especially helpful in case you rescue a stray this season. I drive a car and in my trunk I always have a water bowl, a bottle of fresh water, food, dog treats and a spare leash.  My back seat is covered because I have a dog and I want him to hop in whenever he's going to accompany me without too much fuss. You might want to have a spare blanket in the car.

May everyone in your home have a sane, safe, quiet, nurturing holiday experience this year!  


No comments:

What type of information would you most like to find here?

June 2009, in China

June 2009, in China
At the Summer Palace outside Beijing