Saturday, July 27, 2013

Blood Sugar Rescue on Organizing Day!

I try and eat small mini meals every 3 to 4 hours.  I've been eating like this for years and it works well for me.  Because my days organizing clients can be long and stressful I need food choices I can grab and eat in about five minutes.  We humans are all comforted by breads, aren't we?  I would suggest a whole grain choice rather than a white flour no nutrition selection but you can always rescue the bread with a great spread.  Today I am sharing a recipe from The Gentle Barn a farm animal rescue in Santa Clarita, California just North of Los Angeles.  I just adore everyone there and deeply respect the work they do.  You may have seen them on The Ellen Show. Please check out their work and perhaps make a donation to the cause?  Feeding and caring for over 100 animals is an expensive operation.  Having been there many times I assure you they are legitimate and as great as the hype.  If you live in the L.A. area you might want to spend Thanksgiving there with me! You have a lovely vegan meal and the guest of honor is a live turkey.  How could it get better than that? By the way don't get scared when you see tofu is one of the ingredients in this recipe.  If you aren't familiar with it you may think it's strange, tasteless or difficult to work with.  The reality is that tofu is a great source of protein and it takes on the flavors you introduce. You'll learn to play with it over time and use it to make everything from main dishes and salad dressings to dessert.  THE best tofu cookbook I've ever found is Tofu Cookery by Louise Hagler. You can find it at Amazon.



Sun-dried Tomato Spread
Ingredients:
1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes
2 garlic cloves
1 package firm tofu
1/4 cup loosely packed fresh basil leaves
salt and pepper to taste
Directions:
1. Cover tomatoes in boiling water and allow to soften and re-hydrate for 5 to 10 minutes; drain and squeeze out any excess water.
2. Place tomatoes in a food processor with garlic and process until well chopped and a paste begins to form.
3. Add tofu, basil, salt and pepper and process until smooth.

No comments:

What type of information would you most like to find here?

June 2009, in China

June 2009, in China
At the Summer Palace outside Beijing

Blog Archive