Wednesday, June 19, 2013

How Depression Impacts Your Environment

This quote speaks to the pain that holds us back.  Very often we don't realize that it is emotional pain that is preventing us from moving forward with our organizing projects.  We live compartmentalized lives and fail to view all of our experiences as part of the whole.  Would you be surprised to learn that I 'read' an environment from the minute I enter it? I know your level of self-esteem.  I can gauge how fulfilled and happy you are in life. I very often know if someone or something has hurt you.  It's usually your depression that causes that cascade of piles all around the house.  Happy people don't generally live in chaos.

I worked with a woman who was great fun to be in fact I was shocked when I saw her wardrobe. Every item she pulled out of the closet was either inky black or dark brown in color.  The fabrics were all heavy as if she lived in New York rather than (mostly) sunny Los Angeles.  I asked if she had purchased these items at the same time. I wasn't surprised to hear her explain that these were the items she bought after her husband of many years announced he was leaving her for another woman.  Her sorrow and mourning were expressed in her clothing choices.  Now three years after that shock she was ready to move on.  It is always a privilege to be a part of this healing process.

What story does your environment tell all those who enter? 


No comments:

What type of information would you most like to find here?

June 2009, in China

June 2009, in China
At the Summer Palace outside Beijing