Thursday, June 6, 2013

Sex, Books and KY Jelly

Whenever I enter a bedroom and find books literally everywhere I wonder how my clients get into bed at night.  I imagine specially designed pole vaults hurling them over that avalanche of books onto the bed. Traditionally stacks start on the night stand and mushroom over time  like a fungus.  I imagine my clients have some obstacles in their lives because this condition would not develop on its own.  I wonder (but never ask) if they are having sex.  The environment is so void of passion I have my doubts. I'm curious to know if they've ever broken a leg getting out of bed in the middle of the night to use the bathroom.  And only Heaven knows how they change the sheets or make the bed.  They look quite normal but perhaps they are secretly contortionists?  Now you know how professional organizers think. I'm giving away trade secrets. Or at the very least getting you to laugh.

The simple cure is a small bookcase.  You can get a new one at a home store, a fancy one at a place like The Pottery Barn or even shop for a used one at a consignment store.  A light sanding and a coat of paint can transform that bookcase you inherited but never liked.  There's no end to the places you can find a simple bookcase.  But every now and then there is a bedroom that literally can't hold one more piece of furniture. When I find those situations I know that all hope is not lost because the above night stand is a perfect solution.  

You will want to cull through your books from time to time.  Great books are like old friends but they don't all have to be saved.  You can donate some to a library, retirement home or women's shelter.  You can trade or sell them on line.  Share the fun, the joy and the knowledge in those treasures.  And speaking of fun and joy what about sex?  The little multi drawer unit pictured above would be perfect for a corner in your bathroom or closet to hold all those new lotions'n'potions you'll be stocking up on now that the sheets are clean and the launch pad is clear for take off.


No comments:

What type of information would you most like to find here?

June 2009, in China

June 2009, in China
At the Summer Palace outside Beijing