Tuesday, June 4, 2013

The Packaging Police Want You!


I'm going to bet that every professional organizer has a pet peeve.  Mine is the way American products are packaged. You buy two large bottles of shampoo at a store like Costco and what do you get along with them?  A mountain of cardboard.  You purchase a multi-pack of toilet paper at the local grocery store and what do you get? A lot of plastic wrap holding all the rolls together.  What bothers me is that people bring these items home, take out the one item they intend to use and then store the rest with all that packaging intact.  It robs you of invaluable space. I declare that the Packaging Police are going to knock on your door and take all the unwanted cardboard and plastic wrap.  After they leave the Angels of Clear Space will be flying from room to room squealing in delight! 

I selected the top image because if you look closely the toilet paper has been unwrapped and stacked neatly.  It made my organized heart go pitter patter. It's great if you can have one central location that every family member can check when the stash in his or her bathroom is running low.  But do distribute a few extra rolls in every bathroom so that no one ever has one of those emergencies. Made you laugh, didn't I? 

Before I leave you I added one other image.  I thought it was such a clever way to house a roll of toilet paper as well as the books every American seems to need when he or she sits on the throne.  And that candle is a sweet touch, isn't it? 'Do what you gotta do' is my motto for the bathroom but make it beautiful, keep it functional and for heaven's sake pare it down to the minimum.


What type of information would you most like to find here?

June 2009, in China

June 2009, in China
At the Summer Palace outside Beijing