Friday, June 28, 2013

Volunteer Benefits

A few weeks ago I decided to volunteer at a local pet rescue.  I was asked if I had any time to cuddle some sick puppies who had just been brought in to their facility.  What dog lover would say no to being part of a puppy pile?  I did not plan to fall in love with one of them.  But that's how love works, isn't it? It comes in when you least expect it.  The young man pictured above is Carson.  Isn't he a handsome dude?  He's whip smart, sweet and living at the vet's office while recovering from his illness.  On the days I don't have a client I drive over and play with him for an hour.  Wherever Carson goes in life I hope my words ring in his ears: 'You are so smart!'  'What a good boy you are!'  How did you get to be so handsome?' Some volunteers come by for a few minutes just to get him out of his hospital cage so he can pee and poop on grass.  We're all in love with this special guy.

In your neighborhood there are dogs just like Carson in need of love, kind words, cuddling and a good walk.  If you cut down on social media, reading time, exercise, phone time with friends or whatever way you fritter away time each day in oder to relax, could you help out a local rescue?  I'm not suggesting you eliminate any of these activities!  I am suggesting you curtail them a bit so that you have a few minutes to give to a being in need.  You might prefer a different kind of volunteer work and I believe that all are vital and needed.  On Fridays I like to 'go to the dogs' so that's my focus. The watch words for this weekend are: Open your heart.  The best thing about giving your time is that what you receive in return is greater than any sacrifice you have made to be at the rescue, the shelter, the farm sanctuary, the hospital  or the library.  And the animal, child or adult who benefits from your love will take that with them for Eternity.  It's the best win/win game in town. Are you playing?


No comments:

What type of information would you most like to find here?

June 2009, in China

June 2009, in China
At the Summer Palace outside Beijing