Friday, June 21, 2013

Pit Bulls, Loud Noises and the Fourth of July

I was on the floor surrounded by a new client's extensive shoe collection.  She asked if I liked dogs.  I told her I love dogs and she should absolutely let hers into the house.  I didn't think to ask what breed.  The next thing I knew I was literally nose to nose with a pit bull.  This was my first experience with a pit and all I knew was the terrible press I had read.  I asked if it was safe to be this close. My client laughed and assured me that her dog was a lover not a fighter. The next thing I knew Roxy crawled into my lap. I had to sort shoes with 60 pounds of muscle on my crossed legs.  I was too enchanted to ask her to move.  Once she knew I was comfortable with her,  Roxy began bathing my face in kisses! I loved that dog and visited her periodically until the day she died.  Her picture is in my office.  This need to be close and affectionate is what I have experienced with every pit bull I've ever personally known.  

It's Friday and I like to 'go to the dogs' as the week comes to a close.  I hope you plan to spend some quality time with your pooch this weekend especially if you work outside the home.   The beautiful pit pictured above is from Dog Bark Publishing: www.dogparkpublishing.com.  She's wearing a Thunder Shirt.  It's a great invention designed to help dogs who are nervous when they hear loud noises like thunder.  The Fourth of July is on the horizon and  your pup may be bothered by firecrackers.  I invite you to consider one of these shirts as a possible antidote.  They are available at most pet emporiums.  

By the way another way to help a nervous pooch is Rescue Remedy which can be sprayed directly into the animal's mouth.  If you prefer you can add a few drops to your pet's water each time you provide a fresh bowl.  Rescue Remedy is designed to help human beings who are in shock or under extreme stress but it's safe for animals.  I hope you'll keep it in your medicinal bag of tricks for everyone in the home.   You'll find it in all health food stores and many grocery chains like Whole Foods or Mothers. It's one of the Bach Flower Remedies.  You can find it on line as well.  Try Vita Cost (www.VitaCost.com) or Amazon.

By the way did you know that in the late 1800's and early 1900's pit bulls were sought after by families to protect children? They were known as The Nanny Dog. Remember that the next time you encounter one on the street.  If he has a responsible owner you're in for a dog bath of kisses or the experience of a big muscle bound baby in your lap.





1 comment:

Alyssa Kent said...

What a wonderful post! I too have a Pit and she is exactly the same - a lover without a mean bone in her body! AND she is so afraid of loud noises - thunder, fireworks, guns (we live in a very rural area and are avid hunters ourselves). I have heard of the Thundershirt and read many reviews. I will definitely be purchasing one. I am willing to try anything to help Maddie (my rescue Pitt) in any way I can. I have tried several suggested remedies with no positive effect, including wrapping her up in one of my blankets and holding her close until the storm has passed. I have been respectful to her needs that she may require some extra attention due to her being a rescue from Philly. She is just so afraid of everything - plastic bags, sudden outbursts of laughing, etc... although I don't we should be too surprised by these - I mean, aren't even us humans startled by all the above mentioned things? I am looking forward to seeing how the Thundershirt works! Thank you for the suggestion and review!
Alyssa ~

What type of information would you most like to find here?

June 2009, in China

June 2009, in China
At the Summer Palace outside Beijing