Thursday, June 13, 2013

Who's Got the Corner Office?

The guy or gal in the corner office has the view and the assistants.  He or she probably has acolytes and a fat bank account. They probably wield power over your life.  Have you ever noticed what they don't have? They never  have a desk facing a wall or a window.  They face out in the 'power position.'  The place the Mafia Don takes in a restaurant. The place every Feng Shui practitioner will tell you is powerful. The above image shows how great it looks. 

One night I was leaving a home office after a day of work.  My client and I cleaned out the supply closet and went through every nook and cranny.  We created a file system, organized the desk and even made the bulletin board a thing of beauty.  There was just one change she would NOT let me make: move the desk so her back would no longer be facing the entry.  I wanted her to look up and see the entry door to her right and the window overlooking the courtyard to her left.  In front of her was that famous bulletin board.  I had an idea.  I suggested we turn the desk around so she could sit behind it and see how it felt.  If she didn't like it, we'd flip it back.  No big deal, right?

She sat there for a few minutes in silence and then she looked up at me and said: "I love it.  I feel like a Captain of Industry!'  I rest my case. In Feng Shui by the way one of the key reasons you don't want your back to the door is so that no one can sneak up behind you.  My clients will say things like: "I live alone.  No one is going to sneak up behind me." or "No one in my family would do that!" But remember that Feng Shui speaks in metaphors as well as practical language.  The desk position suggests in addition to real live humans in your home or work place not being able to sneak up behind you, you won't have people doing sneaky things behind your back. Get it?

I know.  Go turn your desk and I'll be back tomorrow.

No comments:

What type of information would you most like to find here?

June 2009, in China

June 2009, in China
At the Summer Palace outside Beijing